For the past several months, TTC Special Constables have been educating and making passengers aware of the changes to the by-law, including the increased fines associated with it. For example, the fine for smoking on TTC property was $95. It is now set at $195, plus a victim fine surcharge of $35. Fines for other infractions, such as “altering fare media,” are now set at $345, plus a $75 victim fine surcharge.
The most frequent offenses include entering a station illegally, smoking, failing to tender proper fare, and littering. The TTC also has the authority now to enforce and apply fines with respect to priority seating, laying across seats or having feet on seats, and obstructing doors. Read the TTC news release here.
I've lived in Toronto now for more than ten years and I regularly use the TTC. In that ten years I think I have seen perhaps two of these 'Special Constables'. So, to all you idiots who have no manners and block the doors and put your feet up, you really have nothing to worry about. It would be nice for once to see people get on the subway, and off for that matter, taking into consideration that there are others behind you and they may need to get on or off as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment