Pages

9.24.2010

St. Jamestown Fire

Update: CP24 is now showing video of another unit on the 24th floor with flames shooting out. The fire is not under control.

Toronto Centre MPP Glen Murray is reporting 200 people homeless on his twitter feed. Donations of food, clothing and money are needed.

Update: 8:45 pm. I got a call from a friend who can see 200 Wellesley from his balcony and he says the fire has started up again and a window has blown out. According to CP24 the fire department is telling residents to stay put unless they are experiencing smoke.

A massive fire broke out this afternoon around 5 pm on the 24th floor of a St. Jamestown highrise. The National Post is reporting that the fire is now out. 10 firefighters were treated for heat exhaustion and four residents of the building, including two children were reportedly taken to hospital.

Torontoist and The Toronto Star report that although the six alarm fire started on the 24th floor the entire 22nd floor was also engulfed in flames. More than 100 firefighters were on scene with approximately 40 firetrucks and support vehicles.

The building has 711 public housing units and is fire trucks are seen daily at this building dealing with false alarms. When I passed by on my way home from work the entire balcony area of the unit was a wall of flames. This fire underscores the danger of allowing balconies to become cluttered with objects.


Toronto Centre MPP Glen Murray is accepting donations for residents. Please mail or drop off (Mon to Fri) donations for victims of fire at 200 Wellesley to:
Murray's office at 514 Parliament, Toronto, ON, M4X 1P4

Links:

The Toronto Star
Torontoist
The National Post
CBC
City Tv
The Globe & Mail




1 comment:

  1. I moved in this building about 3 years ago and insurance is imposible to get living in this building no insurance company in this world will give insurance to anyone living in this building, I only moved in because I am sick with AIDS and had no other place I could aford to live!
    This building is drugs, drugs and more drugs!
    From the day I moved in to the day of the fire were I still havn't been able to get my stuff I heard crack deals out side my apartment door every night and day!
    The reason every one thought it was a meth lab is because the whole world knows this side of 200 Wellesley is packed with crack houses and meth labs that have been running for ever because anyone who lives there can run a huge drug house there they just have to pay a little bit of cash to the heads of Toronto Community Housing staff Nancy Evans and Elvira Dos Santos they will even arange to get the dope delivered to you new or old drug house and have your kitchen/bathroom renovated for the event!
    The security at 200 Wellesley are the best drug dealers I have met in my life the weed I buy from them is better quality and cheaper in price than I would get from ordering it from Health Canada in Ottawa, it's only 5 bucks a gram plus tax for me to buy weed from Ottawa I have never ordered weed from Ottawa from the time I moved into 200 Wellesley to this date! I was buying weed from the security at 200 Wellesley before I moved in the building! The crack the security sells to the crack houses in 200 Wellesley is the is cheaper than anywhere the crack houses can buy it! The security steals from one crack dealer and sells it to another crack dealer in 200 Wellesley all under one roof! The only security guard I know at 200 Wellesley that does security and doesn't sell drugs is the "fitsroy" guy! Before I have security in my apartment to buy weed at 200 Wellesley I hide my pain killers!
    To learn about what it is like living in TCHC google "ctv canadas worst landlord" or to learn about 200 Wellesley google "200 wellesley bed bugs" or my personal most disturbing expereance google "something stinks in public housing"!
    ALL THIS IS DONE WITH YOUR TAX DOLLARS!
    Steve

    ReplyDelete